Tuesday, November 12

A DAY LATE.

When I was in high school, I remember seeing the wall for the first time.  I had seen pictures, read about it, learned about the war, talked with my dad about it, but nothing prepared me for the size of it.  The massive amount of names and lives lost.  Lives lost in a war a lot of people didn't even believe in.  It is humbling.

This summer, I took my children.  We read this book:


We talked about the history, the people, that area of the world, the rise and fall of communism...the list could go on and on.  There's so much to to discuss that I am afraid we didn't even come close to covering it all.  But they saw the wall.  They saw the names, ran their fingers along the names of people who were willing to give up life for a cause.  Two of my three had tears in their eyes.  One cried full force.  





A close friend of mine from high school lost a leg and some dear friends when his helicopter went down in Afghanistan a little over a year ago.  We have prayed for him as a family; we have followed his progress.  He hopes to be flying again soon.  We hope with him.

Maggie has studied the Middle East this year.  She has begun to wrap her head around the Muslim faith and its impact on politics.  I think her understanding on what is happening there far exceeds my own.  It amazes me.

A few weeks ago, I met the mom of one of Maggie's friends.  We talked for about an hour.  She is from Cambodia.  She ran, without shoes or food, to the border of Thailand in 1975 to escape communism.  She was a child.  When she made it to Thailand, she lived in a refugee camp for years until she was able to come to the United States.  She started life over here.  She is a beautiful lady with a beautiful story.  I gathered my kiddos around and made sure they heard her story.  She was amazed that I cared.  I asked my kiddos to imagine what that must have been like.  She told them exactly what it was like.  It was very humbling.

This Veteran's Day was different in our house.  It just means more.

No comments: