Monday, June 4

The Interview

When Maggie was six (almost seven), I was backstage mom.  I "interviewed" her and her best friend Ava before they went out on stage.  The video sat, long-forgotten, as a file on a CD in my school closet...until this week.  This year's recital was Saturday, and it was an emotional day for all involved.  Ava is a great dancer, but she is also a great swimmer.  And it was time to choose one or the other, and she chose to swim next year.  And even though we are sad that she will not be dancing with us next year, we are happy for her.  We love her DEARLY and cannot wait until she starts winning state titles.:)  We will be in the stands for sure.

Parenting is hard sometimes.  But it is such an honor and a privilege to get to walk through these preteen years with these two girls.  They are both so mature, so confident, and so kind.  There are so many lessons to be learned in embracing change and loving others, and I am so proud of these two for doing just that.  

And for some strange reason, I remembered videoing this moment so many Junes ago.  I dug out the CD and went straight to the file.  I laughed.  I cried.  I cannot believe these two will be middle-schoolers in the fall.  I promise I did not blink, but it feels as if I did.  


video

So Saturday, we recorded a new version.  It is equally as funny.  It is equally as sweet.  I have laughed.  I have cried.  I have given the file a name, and one day it will sit a collection of CDs with a label of June 2012.


video


And maybe one June, say June 2019, God will bring it to mind, and I will dig it out.  And maybe, just maybe, I'll interview them as they graduate from high school.  

No comments: