Friday, April 13

He is risen, indeed!

When I was twenty-one years old, I sat in an interview for a summer job.  College was closing in--I just had one last summer free and clear before student teaching and "the real world."  I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my summer; I just wanted to do SOMETHING.  So I sat in an interview for a summer camp counselor position with an intense man.  He asked me to share the basics of the gospel with him.  I did.  He told me that I did a fabulous job--except one thing--I didn't finish the story.  I didn't include what happened AFTER Jesus died on the cross.  Without Easter, Christmas means nothing.  We need the Easter portion of the story.  Those words have stuck with me through the years.  It is the portion of the story I have the most trouble with even now...remembering that God is in control no matter how it seems.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all (2 Corinthians 4:17).

Fourteen years later, I taught the very same lesson to a group of girls in my Sunday morning small group.  We talked our way through the Easter story, the hearts of the disciples, the obedience of Jesus, and the victory over death.  I love every minute I get with those girls, and I hope that as Easter seasons come and go throughout their lives, they remember the whole story.  I hope and pray that they will never forget the most important part.  I pray that Easter will mean more and more and more to them as they grow up, just as it means more and more and more to me each year.  It has become my very favorite holiday.





A special thanks to Stephanie and Leanne for inspiring me to make bow ties.  Even if you tricked me into hanging out, Leanne.  I love you all the more for it.

No comments: