Tuesday, October 25

And they ask...

So I have been asked several questions over and over and over again about the tattoo, some obnoxious of course, and some general interest.  In an effort to keep it real, I'll answer them (again) here.


1.  Do I know it is permanent?  Yes, I do.  It took me thirty-five years to decide to do it.  I have had a lot of time to think and consider it.  I am okay with it being there when I am old.


2.  How does John feel about it?  At first, A YEAR AGO when I started tossing out the idea, he wasn't overly excited about it.  He has never been against it, though.  When he saw how much I wanted to do this and he saw that my excitement didn't wane over time, he stood behind me 100%.  He even went with me when I got it.  And his first words after it was finished?  "I really like it."


3.  What about that verse in the Bible--the one about tattoos being wrong?  I'll answer this one, but I will also say, that if this is really what bothers you about tattoos, then you have some issues with your own idols.  There is a verse in Leviticus that directly says not to tattoo your body.  But it also says do not trim your beard or eat meat drained of blood.  Why would it say this?  Because at the time, culturally, these things were associated with pagan beliefs.  I am going to step out on a limb here and say that isn't necessarily the case anymore.  A tattoo is no longer a sign of unbelief.  Our culture has changed.  A tattoo will only mark a believer as a pagan  in the eyes of a judgmental believer.  I answered these questions for myself:


  • How does my heart and my conscience convict me? Do I have freedom in Christ and a clear conscience before the Lord regarding the decision to get a tattoo?
  • Am I passing judgment on a brother or sister because I don't have freedom in Christ to receive a tattoo?
  • Will I still want this tattoo years from now?
  • Will my parents and family approve, and/or will my future spouse want me to have this tattoo?
  • Is my decision based on faith and will the result be glorifying to God?


  • 4.  What does it say?  It is in Greek.  My life verse is John 8:32, and my favorite chapter in the whole Bible is John 8.  There is just so much there that means so much to me.  My verse says, "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."  I have found this freedom in the last few years, and it is ULTRA important to me.  That is what my tattoo says: free.  I tend to let the world define me.  Now I have a permanent reminder on my foot that NOTHING ELSE defines me.  Not my past, not my future, not my husband, not my church, not my friends, not my children (which is a shame because THEY ARE STELLAR), not anything else.  I am free.  I want that to define me.  That is the mark of Christ in my life.

    5.  What do your children think?  Maggie says when she is 35, she might get a tattoo.  I'm okay with that.  Ellie thinks it feels bumpy, and Bentley says he can't read it.  They are all together un-phased by it because it just isn't that big of a deal to them.  We are way more interested in issues of the heart than we are in legalistic behavior.  They know my heart.

    6.  Did it hurt?  Initially, yes.  It lasted thirty minutes or so, and on a pain scale of 1-10, I would put it at a 7.  Childbirth was way worse, and I am thinking my mowing over a yellow jacket nest last summer was ultimately worse as well.  It has not hurt a single bit since she finished doing it.  It hasn't bled, barely "oozed," and barely itched.  I am keeping it clean and keeping lotion on it, and life is going on as normal.

    7.  Do I like it?  Of course.  It is quite beautiful, and I needed something quite beautiful.  It is perfect for me. 

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    You are the coolest daughter-in-law ever. Your post rocks. I love you. I love your tattoo. That is all.
    Nana

    stacy: the aunt with gum said...

    I love that you have thought so much on it and posted this. It is beautiful! Embrace that freedom, friend! :)