Thursday, September 15

Photo Challenge Day 17

Day 17 - A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life






There are so many obvious things I could have grabbed a picture of for this challenge, but I decided to try and think of something less obvious.  I mentioned it to John, and he said this:




I believe he's probably right.  This is what my dad passed down to me.  My dad read this aloud to me when I was a wee little one, and then read it aloud to us again several more times in our growing up years, long before it was hip to read to your children every night.  It was VERY important to him that we understand the treasures and life lessons of Atticus, Jem, and Scout.  My mom and dad both started out in a segregated south and saw integration first hand in their schooling years.  Their stories were fascinating to us.  And my dad had lived in Puerto Rico in the fifties and experienced the equally shocking third-world poverties of Vietnam in his late teen years.  They really wanted us to see beyond our small little portion of the world.

Of course, I learned so much more than just the issues of the segregated south.  I learned to listen to a chapter book.  I learned to treasure the written word.  I learned to love books and to treasure reading.  My dad gifted those things to me--starting with the tale of a little girl named Scout.  I have read this particular book so many times now that I often find the words running through my head as if it were a song!

No comments: