Tuesday, April 26

Reading Request!

My children just wrapped up the Chronicles of Narnia series, and our school year is just a handful of weeks from finished. We are avid readers, and we need some reading ideas. John reads a chapter of a book to all three children at bedtime every night that he's home, and both Mags and Bent are required to read a chapter independently each day from a book suited to their reading levels. Their exposure to different books and novels is quite extensive. That being said, I am curious as to what your favorite books were as a child? If you are a teacher, what do you read to your class or have your students read? As a parent, what books are a must for your kiddos? If you answer this for me, maybe I'll get a few ideas for our kiddos!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I devoured the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Boxcar Children books as a kid. As an adult, mysteries are still my favorite genre, I'm certain due to the steady diet of good mystery/detective fiction I read as a child. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys rank higher than the Boxcar Children in my mind, but the Boxcar Children might be better suited to a younger audience.

Have you ever checked out the book "Honey for a Child's Heart" (Gladys Hunt)? It's a great resource of the best books for children of all ages.

Jennifer said...

Watsons go to Birmingham, West to a land of Plenty (ANY Dear America series), A Boy at War, Walk two Moons, Long Way to Chicago

trmills said...

Amy, you're ahead of the game for me on this one, so I don't know that I'll have anything to offer, but I need to refer to Maggie's reading list for time to come for Emmy! But a few we love that are in the older category are: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Black Beauty, A Wrinkle in Time, The Little Princess, Anne (of Green Gables, of course:), Little Women, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan.