Thursday, April 14

Nummy.

She is almost four. Most days she seems like she going on six or seven or even sixteen. It is the way it works when you are the caboose in a three-child train. She spends most of her days attempting to make the broad jump that separates her from her siblings, and she lands pretty close more often than I'd care to admit.


Today, she was three, almost four. She fought with her brother over who had more animal crackers, and then when I took the crackers away, she cried for an hour. She cried in the car on the way to get our farmers market basket. She cried in the car on the way back. The big kiddos begged her to stop. She cried for about an hour. I tried to explain that her crying would mean that I absolutely couldn't give her a snack at that time. I explained that it was a battle of wills, and I would win. I told her I loved her. I told her she would have consequences. All the methods that work so very well with my big kiddos. But she is three. Nothing worked, and so I let her just cry. It was a very hard few hours.

Later, when the consequences were over and when her heart was happy, I gave her some animal crackers. She looked at me and said, "Mommy, these are just so nummy."

Yes, nummy. What a great reminder for my soul. She is just a little one. She still runs through the house completely naked. She still confuses her words and her consonants. She jumps in every puddle and smiles the most cheesy grin on demand. She dances the Charlie Brown and the Cha Cha in the most uninhibited way. She sings off-key and loudly without a care in the world. Going without her snack for a few hours just might be the worst thing that has happened to her all week. In her happy, care-free world, it probably was crushing, and it was sad. After all, the crackers were just so nummy.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Whew! Glad it's just the age, cause I was beginning to feel like I was on THIS journey alone!