Tuesday, September 7

More thoughts on discipleship:

I am thinking through and making some decisions regarding some of my very best of friends that meet together each week in a Covenant group--which is a discipleship group in our church. I have been swapping emails with a few friends at Perimeter, and today while perusing their website, I found this little gem:
"Discipleship is a place to grow. It's a place to know God more. It's a place to be known and loved deeply. It's a place for your heart and soul to be fed and cared for. It's a place to learn how to better care for the hearts and souls of others. It's a place where God's people, God's word, and God's mission come together."

I like that. I like that a lot. It may be difficult for the local church, but it isn't impossible. I've been involved in three churches over the last fifteen years that use discipleship/multiplication as the means of church growth. I've been in a handful of groups over the years and even led a handful of groups. I've seen it fail, and I have seen it work.

I said it the other day, and I will say it again. Discipleship works when you are loved well, and you love well. I still believe it is that simple.


2 comments:

Christina said...

Love this. Reminded me that my kids need my discipleship daily. Substitute "My home" for the word "Discipleship" and you've got a pretty good mission statement for stay-at-home moms!

Kim said...

Agreed!