Tuesday, August 17

Simple and True Yet Complex and Hard.

There is a lot on my mind this week, and it is very much keeping me up at night. So here I sit at 1:30 in the morning listening to the night sounds and wondering why I can't get back to sleep. I have a dear friend who is struggling right now, maybe even more than I am. I really want answers to give her, but I know the answers I have are really insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The best I know to do is to keep it simple and full of truth.


The simple thing (yet seeming quite complex) is that God is sovereign, and if I truly believe he is sovereign, then I must believe he is in complete control. It may not make sense to us why things happen in a certain way or why things do not happen in a certain way, but it is designed for a purpose and for a reason. It really is that simple.

If I really believe this and act on this belief, then the truth is that there is no way to be outside the will of God. I know this is hard to swallow sometimes because I like to think I choose the will of God, and I would sure like to believe when things do not work out according to "my plans" that I somehow chose something outside the will of God. This just can't be unless I am willing to compromise the character of God, which I'm not. Therefore, the truth is that all of life--the grand, the glorious, the mediocre, the pain, the heartache, and even the brokenness I experience--all falls under God's great plans for me. When life is hard and mean and rotten, I am still right where God wants me for a reason.

Unbelievably, there is great comfort to be found in that. Whatever it is, it is part of a divine plan. I can be patient, knowing that the plan is purposed, and there is nothing I can or cannot do to mess it up. I do not have to be in control. It's not my job. There is peace to be found in that.

All this to be said because I know my dear friend will read this, and hopefully she will know it is for her...and for me, too. Because although our struggles are different in nature, they are the same when you really get to the heart of the matter.