Monday, July 19

When You are Nine...

When you are nine, you read big books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. You LOVE poetry and have many poems memorized. You love playing games like Uno, Phase 10, Sequence, and even chess with your daddy. You love to play outside, and as we discovered this year, you LOVE to swim competitively. You don't care so much about the ribbons (once the we learned about the whole heat thing); for you, it really is the thrill of the swim.

When you are nine, you still have an unbelievably concerned and caring heart. You guard your siblings well--taking care of them and sticking up for them when necessary. You play with ANYBODY, regardless of age. You are my "old soul" and have the ability to carry on conversations with adults at an adult level. Then, in the blink of an eye, you are holding hands and playing with the little ones. It always amazes me how well you love and treat your younger friends, and I am not the only one who notices.

When you are nine, you are still very athletic. You are still dancing. Today, I will drop you off for a required "Summer Intensive," and when I pick you up tonight, you will go on and on and on about how much you learned and how fun it was. You swam this summer and won an award for the most improved swimmer. It surprised you, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. That's how you roll. You asked for inline skates for your birthday, and we bought them for you. Why? Because I know you, and in no time, you are going to say, "Hey, Mom, look!" And I am going to pretend to look while my eyes are really closed as you jump the steps on our front walk in those skates. They scare me, but for you, it is just another adventure to conquer. And that's how you roll. When you are nine, that is one of the qualities I love most about you.

When you are nine, what I really treasure, is the in-between-ness of it all. I have read books, I have talked to people, and I have watched dear friends raise their children. I know this is typically the beginning of some rougher roads for most people. I keep expecting it to be harder, but so far I really, really enjoy this stage of your life. I enjoy taking you shopping and finding out a little more of who you are becoming. I love that you now have favorites, that you have opinions, and I am enjoying balancing that all out with you. I love talking to you. You are growing up into such a reasonable little person; you are a thinker and a doer and a lover of people. I really enjoy when we get to sit and talk about life and what you believe and why. I love when you make decisions and you get to see the direct consequences of those decisions. I love that it all makes sense to you now.

When you are nine, you are still one of the funniest people we know. At dinner, you make us laugh every night. You recap events for us just for the comic relief, and the best part of it all, is that you are learning to laugh at yourself as well. If you can master this one skill, it will take you far in life.

When you are nine, you know where your value lies. Just today we were talking in the car about your most improved swimmer award. You mentioned how unexpected it was, and how you had two medals instead of just one. And then you said it--the words I had hoped would come out of your mouth--and they did. I tried to remember them exactly for you, for this, so this is the best I can remember:

"It is really neat that I won two medals, but I know next year that I might only get one. That would be okay though because an extra award doesn't mean I'm any better than the other girls. It really is about having fun, and I really had fun."

When you are nine, baby girl, you get it. Your heart is beginning to understand the essential truths of the gospel. You may even get it better than I get it. When you are nine, I LOVE that about you.

Happy Birthday, Maggie Brett!



1 comment:

The Falkins said...

I'm in tears...I'm sure I'll blink my eyes and Anna will be nine.