Sunday, April 12

Coming Clean.

Now that it has been a few days, I feel like I am finally able to write about this without being sick to my stomach. We took the kids to a new museum in our area, the Tellus Museum--which by the way, is AWESOME and worth the money. We had our three kiddos (7, 5, almost 2), one friend (7), and two cousins (10, 5). My mom went as well, so there were 3 adults. Pretty good adult to child ratio, right? Well, I lost Bentley. Not just an "Oh, there he is around the corner" lost, but a "someone find my child and find him now lost!"

We were walking through the main lobby area (beside a huge dinosaur! and peaking in at other Dino's! and cars! and an enormous model of the Wright Flyer!), and I did a head count. All were with me, so I kept going. When we got to the other side, my Mom asked where Bentley was. I insisted he was with the girls--they had entered a hands-on play area. Mom insisted he wasn't. She was right.

I honestly have never been so scared in my whole entire life. I ran back to the exhibit that I left John in...thinking maybe Bent headed back to Daddy. He wasn't with John, either. I searched that exhibit, while John headed to the dinosaurs. It was probably about five minutes, but it felt like hours. I ran through my head what he was wearing, preparing to find a museum worker and tell him I had a lost child. I headed back out to the main lobby area, and there John was, holding Bent!!!!!!!! I was so relieved, and Bent just jumped in my arms.

He stopped to look at a car on the way across and lost us. Someone found him standing alone and asked him if he was lost. He told them he was, and they took him to the gem mining area to wait (because that's supposed to be fun, right? Yet, not so much when you're lost!) while the workers attempted to find us. Obviously, I wasn't the only panicked one because one look at John and the worker asked him if he lost a child! They were reunited, and it was a very happy ending.

Bentley told me that he didn't cry until he saw his Daddy again. Can I just say that those words just broke my heart?

Needless to say, I am grateful to have him back, grateful for the person who took the initiative to help him when he was lost, grateful to have John and Mom with me, just plain grateful on so many levels.

And I might just make him wear a leash next time I take him out...like tomorrow at the grocery store. The end.

7 comments:

The Davis Family said...

I am so glad you found Bent and he was safe and sound. I couldn't help but think however, as I read your story, how different the world would be if we were all that panicked about the lost people around us!

The Tindalls said...

I know you were so scared, Amy! I am glad all things worked out and you were all reunited! Leash...yes!!!! hahaha!

angie said...

AIGH!! Wow! I'm really glad you found him! I had a similar experience, except in Target. And it was 2 kids. But still...how scary!

Jennifer said...

I'll NEVER forget the time Andrew wandered away from mom at the Aug. Mall and we found him in a bookstore sitting on the floor looking at books. Still makes me sick to this day. Thank you, Lord, for guarding Bentley!

Nana Huff said...

And to the leash Bentley said, "That would choke me!" Praise he was here to do so...
Nana

Kim said...

So glad for a happy ending! I could tell you a worse story about someone we both know in a far of land, but I took an oath of secrecy about 7 years ago! :)

judybroadwater said...

Hey Amy I know you probably about lost your mind and the contents of your stomach, i'm glad he's safe. My friend Tricia whose daughter is 11 son 2 said that when bridget was really young she made a copy of her drivers license with a phone number on it and put it in the pocketof her pants or shirt or sometimes just in her shirt so that if she was found (in shirt if no pockets) they could contact her.... just an idea she didn't keep her address or whatever on it... i guess it goes with sewing tags on their stuff huh? oh well, you don't pay me to think hahahaha they are so precious.....